Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pork Bafat


Pork Bafat


Pork Bafat is very common in every house of Mangalorean Catholic Christian community. Any function, it might be roce, wedding, birthday party, baptism, communion, vodlen festh or annual parish feast or even small get together, one of the menu should be made of pork or dukramaas. Otherwise the meal is incomplete or bland. Mangalorean Christians will not accept it at all!!!! Such a length of craving people have it for pork. And I am not less than anyone. Pork and sanna(idlis) is in my top ten food list. The one reason I love to go home for this!!! My dad prepares lovely pork bafat. I learnt from him to make this delicious pork. Though I could not reproduce the same like my dad's pork bafat in terms of colour or texture(there was very less fat in the pork I used) but the taste was more or less the same. If you are a fan of pork or dukramaas do try and let me know. 


Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time       : 20 mins
Serves                  : 3

Ingredients :
Pork with fat -650 grams
3 large onions chopped into large cubes
1-2 green chilly slitted lengthwise
6-8 cloves of garlic without skin cut into half
2 inch ginger minced 
2 inch cinnamon
4 cloves
4 Bay leaves
2 tablespoon thick tamarind juice 
3 tablespoon Bafat Powder (I used store bought)
Vinegar- 1 teaspoon (I used diluted)
Salt to taste


Method : 

Cut the pork into medium bite sized pieces. Wash and drain in a colander.

In a large pan spread the onions to make a layer. Over it add cut pork, garlic, green chilly, ginger, cinnamon,cloves, bay leaves and salt and tamarind juice.

Without disturbing cover and cook the meat using low flame till half done. The onions and meat leave lot of water and starts to cook.

When half done remove the lid and add bafat powder and stir very well so that the masala coats to the meat. add vinegar and adjust salt. if only required add half cup of water.Cook till done. Switch off the flame. 




No comments:

Post a Comment