Monday, December 16, 2013

Cheesey Chicken Spiral Pasta


I never liked the pasta when I ate it first time in a restaurant. Yucky was my reaction. Then I thought of feeding my daughter pasta to see whether she likes it or not. I bought Maggi penne pasta. The pack comes with the pasta masala powder. My daughter too didn't like it and she spitted it out with the first spoon itself. I decided not to feed pasta to my family any more... The pasta which I bought was lying in the shelf for many months then I finally handed over to my mom in law before coming here and I really don't know what she has done with it :)


Every Saturday I go to Coles supermarket to buy weeks groceries and there one full section is filled with different type of dry pastas... I couldn't resist buying a pack of spiral pasta. I tried this recipe and it worked out for my whole family.. It is cheesey, creamy, tangy and delicious... Though I have added chicken in it, vegetarians please do not get disappointed. Instead of chicken you can add different vegetables like mushrooms, broccoli, olives, carrots, red, yellow, and green bell peppers. It looks more presentable on the plate than adding just the chicken :). Follow the same method of preparing pasta sauce. Scroll down for the ingredients and the method of preparation.


Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time       : 30 mins
Serves                  : 4 

Ingredients : 
2 cups dried spiral pasta( you can use any shape)
Salt to taste
Water 

Mozzarella or any grated cheese (as per your need)

For the pasta sauce
250 grams chicken breast fillet minced
1 large onion chopped finely
1 green bell pepper chopped finely
 4 tomatoes pureed ( I used whole peeled tomatoes)
5 large garlic cloves chopped finely
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1  teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1/4 teaspoon celery salt(optional)
1 teaspoon chilli flakes (I broke the kashmiri chillies into pieces)
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon sugar

Method :

Boil 6 cups of water in a pan, add salt, 2-3 drops of oil and pasta cook on medium heat till it is softt (It takes 5-6 mins). After cooked drain the pasta on colander and keep aside 

To make pasta sauce, heat oil in a pan add minced chicken, little salt, cumin powder, turmeric powder cook till soft. Saute and cook till the chicken gets cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan and put into bowl. keep aside

In the same pan add little oil, add garlic saute for a minute. Add onions and saute till transparent. Add bell pepper and saute them for few minutes. Add oregano, chilly powder, chilly flakes, garam masala, soy sauce, tomato ketch up and salt( take care while adding salt. even chicken and pasta also has salt) 

Add pureed tomatoes and cooked chicken. To this add celery salt and sugar.

Add half cup of water. Cover and cook for 10-15 mins. Keep stirring in between.

Switch of the flame. 

Now pour the sauce over the pasta and mix well. Add grated cheese or mozzarella cheese on top and place the bowl in microwave oven and cook for 5 mins on high till gets melted. 

Mix everything well and serve hot.... 

Pasta sauce 
Cooked pasta
Cheese on top of pasta and sauce mix

Melted  cheese after microwaving it 
Cheesey spiral Chicken Pasta 







1 comment: